Pioneer Drive began in 1954 using Bonham Elementary School and Abilene Fire Station #6 until a building could be built. Sunday School classes were held in three city buses and a nearby home was used for the nursery. It began with dreams and visions of sharing Christ in a "new" part of Abilene.
"Thanksgiving Victory Sunday"
On Sunday, November 17, 1968, the first worship services were held in the new Sanctuary.
In the spring of 2004, Pioneer Drive Baptist Church began exploring the possibility of a new kind of worship service that would connect with the next generation of worshippers. As teams were formed and conversations developed, the desire became clear for a worshiping community of imperfect people founded on Jesus Christ and guided by the scriptures to provide a sacred space for people who didn’t feel like there was a place for them in church.
the gathering held her first worship service on Sunday, January 16, 2005 in the gymnasium of Pioneer Drive Baptist Church. Each Saturday evening a team of dedicated staff and volunteers would prepare the gym to be a place of worship and clean-up after service on Sunday. In our early years, we were able to develop a core group of people who simply wanted to love God and love others. Beginning in the fall of 2007, the gathering moved into her new home: the Conference Center at Pioneer Drive Baptist Church, which was newly constructed and a great home to the growing worship service.